1/2 kilo chicken, cut into chunks
Oil for frying
5 kaffir lime leaves
1 stalk lemongrass
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp of desiccated coconut (kopra)
1 spoon of salt and sugar
For the spice paste:
5 bird's eye chillies, soaked in warm water
5 fresh red chillies (remove the seeds if you want it less spicy)
1 stalk of lemongrass
1 clove garlic
1/2-inch peeled galangal
1 teaspoon each of coriander seeds / turmeric powder / salt / sugar
How to make:
- Grind coarsely the spice paste in your food processor.
- Toast the grated desiccated coconut (kopra) with a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until brown and set aside.
- In the same wok, heat another spoon of oil and fry the kaffir lime leaves for 10 seconds.
- Now add the spice paste and fry on a slightly high flame until the colour changes.
- Add the chicken and mix well, letting the meat coat and soak in the spice mix.
- Add salt and sugar.
- After the chicken is cooked on low heat, add the coconut milk and the toasted coconut.
- Let it boil for a few seconds and turn the flame off immediately.
Serve with hot rice.